Ancient camps of tipi rings, cairns, and bison kill sites evidence native people using the site as long as 4,000 years ago. Research may reveal activity reaching as far back as 12,000 years.
Established in 1881, the Cochrane Ranch was the first of the big Western Canadian ranches. It soon became apparent , however, that domestic cattle did not have the same ability to survive harsh Canadian winters as the native bison. Lessons learned from Cochrane’s misfortune have led to great success by generations of cattle ranchers in southern Alberta.
GLENBOW QUARRY & TOWN
The Glenbow Quarry provided sandstone for Alberta’s Legislature building, and Calgary’s Land Titles building and Court House. At the height of the quarry’s success, 150 residents called Glenbow home.
Though the Post Office and General Store are all that remain, the ghosts of Glenbow past have many stories to tell.
The Canadian Pacific Railway reached Cochrane in the fall of 1883, opening the Canadian West to settlement and industry.
Over 125 years later, trains continue their cross-country trek through Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park.